Looking at the Republic
Vol 17 no 3, 1997
Visualising Australia in the lead up to the new Millennium and a possible Republic. How will Australia re-present itself to the region? Icons and logos of Australia, a new flag, sport and porn, art for a banana republic.
Subscribe to Artlink - from $55. Subscriptions available for readers anywhere in the world.
The New Republics: Contemporary Art from Australia, Canada and South AfricaAuthor: Sunil Gupta, feature
The ideas behind this project stem from the particular legacy of Black British arts practice in the 1980s....This touring visual arts exhibition and book project tries to deconstruct the notion of the centre (London/UK/Europe) both as a site of former colonial power and as a site of current economic and cultural power.
Subscribe to the Artlink newsletter now
Articles in this issue
- Artrave: Artrave
- Book review: Cheating Tragedy
- Book review: The Path of Peace
- Book review: Travelling North or Going Backwards?
- Feature: A Postmodern Republic for a (West meets East) Post-colonial State
- Feature: An Australian Head of State - Eureka!
- Feature: Art as Cultural Diplomacy: Back to the Drawing Board
- Feature: Art for a Banana Republic
- Feature: Festival of the Dreaming
- Feature: Glue and Yeast: Asian Perceptions and the Year 2000
- Feature: Lines in the Sand
- Feature: Saluting the Dot-spangled Banner
- Feature: Sport and Porn
- Feature: Symbols for Australia
- Feature: That Iconic Moment: The Dismissal
- Feature: The Lie of the Land
- Feature: The New Republics: Contemporary Art from Australia, Canada and South Africa
- Feature: The Republican Rock: A Vexing Issue
- Feature: The Stamp of Republicanism
- Feature: The Sublime and the Parochial: The Foot of God
- Feature: Thinking Like a Sheep, Acting Like a Ham
- Feature: Three Fragments of an Aberrant Narrative of Australian Identity
- Feature: Towards a Pre-Capitalist Flag
- Obituary: Ngarrindjeri Soldier Kerry Giles Kurwingie 1959 - 1997
- Review: A few more fish than you'd expect for seven bucks
- Review: Different Dreaming
- Review: Disclosing Secrets
- Review: Hard Edge Political
- Review: Mothertongue
- Review: Post-Colonial Dreaming
- Review: To Have or to Hold
- Vis.arts.online: vis.arts.online