Looking at the Republic
Vol 17 no 3, 1997
Visualising Australia in the lead up to the new Millennium and a possible Republic. How will Australia re-present itself to the region? Icons and logos of Australia, a new flag, sport and porn, art for a banana republic.
Subscribe to Artlink - from $55. Subscriptions available for readers anywhere in the world.
The Stamp of RepublicanismArtist: Ms Elizabeth Gertsakis, feature
When a nation puts out a stamp design it reveals a great deal about its official ideology. The designs which appear on stamps of countries which achieve independence and become republics follow a curious pattern. From France through Tsarist Russia to Libya.... what will Australia put on its Republican stamp [if and when it becomes a Republic]?
Subscribe to the Artlink newsletter now
Articles in this issue
- Artrave: Artrave
- Book review: Cheating Tragedy
- Book review: The Path of Peace
- Book review: Travelling North or Going Backwards?
- Feature: A Postmodern Republic for a (West meets East) Post-colonial State
- Feature: An Australian Head of State - Eureka!
- Feature: Art as Cultural Diplomacy: Back to the Drawing Board
- Feature: Art for a Banana Republic
- Feature: Festival of the Dreaming
- Feature: Glue and Yeast: Asian Perceptions and the Year 2000
- Feature: Lines in the Sand
- Feature: Saluting the Dot-spangled Banner
- Feature: Sport and Porn
- Feature: Symbols for Australia
- Feature: That Iconic Moment: The Dismissal
- Feature: The Lie of the Land
- Feature: The New Republics: Contemporary Art from Australia, Canada and South Africa
- Feature: The Republican Rock: A Vexing Issue
- Feature: The Stamp of Republicanism
- Feature: The Sublime and the Parochial: The Foot of God
- Feature: Thinking Like a Sheep, Acting Like a Ham
- Feature: Three Fragments of an Aberrant Narrative of Australian Identity
- Feature: Towards a Pre-Capitalist Flag
- Obituary: Ngarrindjeri Soldier Kerry Giles Kurwingie 1959 - 1997
- Review: A few more fish than you'd expect for seven bucks
- Review: Different Dreaming
- Review: Disclosing Secrets
- Review: Hard Edge Political
- Review: Mothertongue
- Review: Post-Colonial Dreaming
- Review: To Have or to Hold
- Vis.arts.online: vis.arts.online